Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Avoiding the "too"


Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace. Whose mind is stayed on You. Because he trusts in you.
 
Recently life threw me several curve balls, my plate was too full. This reminded me of a self care tool used in recovery programs called H.A.L.T. When you are too hungry, angry, lonely or tired you make poor choices.
For me poor choices include overeating, road rage, isolation and no sleep. I am a H.A. L.T poster child. I have battled an eating disorder for over twenty years. I have questioned God more than once “how is my eating destroying my witness?” Food is my addiction of choice. It is the safe acceptable addiction. Right? With my weight maintained at less than one hundred pounds most of my youth through my mid twenties. The last twenty years  being over two hundred pounds has been a nightmare. When life is too hard, food is my first choice for comfort. The guilt turns into anger and isolation mixed with the lack of sleep leads to more eating.
As I begin to seek God for help, and reached out to other believers to pray for me and my family. I asked them to pray for the issues on my plate, the curve balls. Not my addiction. Why? Because it is embarrassing. I would have to fight this on my own.
I could not escape the too. So, I ran towards it. The bible says in Jeremiah 32:27 “ I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me? My spirit answered “No God, nothing is too hard for you.” God cares about every detail of our lives. This scripture reminded me that God is the creator of all mankind and that there will be hard situations in our lives. When things seem too hard for me and I fall back into addiction, He is there and He cares. My addiction is not too hard for God.
This revelation brought me comfort, but my mind was still embarrassing the too. In the midst of this power struggle I was depleted. Startled awake by my own snoring, “God please help me to H.A.L.T. and to trust you with my plate.” The scripture that came to my mind was Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace. Whose mind is stayed on You. Because he trusts in you. God I want that perfect peace. Help me to keep my mind on you and not the plate. My soul cried out to God and He answered and I received His peace. Praise God He answers our prayers and comforts us with His Spirit.
Everything on my plate is still there, but now I am trusting God to take care of it. And by putting H.A.L.T into practice by avoiding the too.

When life throws you a curve ball, what do you do?

If your life is overwhelming today H.A.L.T and trust God to work it out for your good. Be blessed 

2 comments:

  1. Venus, I am going to remember your H.A.L.T. Thanks for sharing from your heart today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, God is so good to us. Thank you for your feedback. Be blessed

      Delete